Psychologists are often labelled by a variety of not-so-flattering names, such as nutcases, shrinks and head shrinkers... I like to think I’m a little different. I’m not here to shrink your head – but rather to expand your mind.
I believe I can help you develop your sense of self. To understand why you do the things you do, to build your inter-personal skills, improve your self-esteem, and help you to establish and maintain successful business and social relationships. In short, I want to develop your YOU-Q!
If you are reading this, you probably know something about psychology and the different approaches psychologists use in therapy.
I use an eclectic approach in my work - using the best approach for a particular client, based on their particular challenge and set of circumstances.
I draw mostly from Psychodynamic, Humanistic and Existential approaches. I also draw on Cognitive Behavioural Theory, Transactional Analysis, Systems Theory, and am fascinated by Attachment Theory.
I run my private practice from my home in Kloof, Durban, South Africa. This involves:
- Face to face counselling and therapy with individuals and couples
- ‘Remote’ counselling with individuals in other parts of the world (talking to them via Skype)
I work with adults, and have experience and an interest in working in the following areas:
- Anger management
- Grief and bereavement
- Interpersonal skills development – EQ skills, communication skills, assertiveness, conflict and negotiation
- Personal growth – helping people live more effectively
- Relationships – giving couples the communication and interpersonal skills to enhance and strengthen their relationship
- Retirement – planning retirement from a psychological perspective
- Retrenchment – helping individuals adapt to retrenchment and view the future as a new opportunity
- Self-esteem counselling – helping individuals improve the way they see themselves
- Stress and anxiety
- Trauma counselling – counselling after accidents, or crime-related incidents such as hi-jackings, muggings, home invasions etc.
Employee Wellness Progammes
I am the Principle Associate of Maureen Kark and Associates in the province of KwaZulu-Natal, overseeing the Employee Wellness Programmes at Growthpoint Properties and Investec Bank in this province. This involves:
- Counselling and psychotherapy for employees on an individual basis
- Running psychological interventions for employees on a group basis
- Giving talks and presentations
I consult to companies and offer psycho-educational interventions when needed - such as trauma counselling, retrenchment counselling and interventions, suicide forums and grief and bereavement forums.
I have worked with the following companies:
- Alltech Netstar
- Bytes Communication Systems
- Bytes Connect
- Bytes Outsource Services (Pty) Ltd
- Elgin, Brown & Hamer
- Gold Circle Racing and Gaming Group
- RSM SA Durban
- Sasol Polymers
- Sugarbay Holiday Camp
- Tax Integrity
- Varsity College
- Vision RSM
- Voltex Group
Diploma & Degrees
- Higher Diploma in Education (HDE) (Edgewood College of Education)
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) (UND)
- Bachelor of Arts Honours in Psychology (B.A Hons.) (UND)
- Master of Arts (Psychology) (M.A.) (UND)
Note: The University of Natal, Durban (UND) is currently known as the University of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN)
Registered Counselling Psychologist
- HPCSA Registration Number: PS 0067180
- Practice Number:0003611
- Career and Executive Coach : UNISA Organisational Development Department
Professionally Qualified Teacher
- Teachers' Federal Council Registration Number: R 124102/5
- Global Speakers Federation (GSF)
- Professional Speakers Association of Southern Africa (PSASA) (Past President of the KZN Chapter - two terms)
- Toastmasters International
Click on thumbnails for larger images.
If you would like to see me as a therapist please contact me to set up an appointment.
Opening hours: 9am - 5pm
Private practice: Wednesdays, Thursdays & Fridays
Corporate consultations: Mondays and Tuesdays
Can't make these times?
If you need to see me outside of my standard times, I may be able to schedule sessions to suit you.
I charge R1070 per session.
Different medical aids cover different rates. See below.
Please read my practice details regarding payment.
To make an appointment or to discuss working with me...